250th Summer Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts (RA), London
[12 June 2018 - 19 August 2018]
- July, 2020 Calendar, Royal Academy of Arts (RA)
- Plastic-Negative Greetings Cards, Zero Plastic [2021-Current]
- Medium: Drypoint and watercolour
- Support: Somerset Textured White 300gsm handmade cotton paper
- Image Size (Matrix Size): 150 × 125mm
- Paper Size (Support Size): 285 × 255mm
- Edition: 100
- Numbered AP: 10
- Published: 2018
Published in 2018 and selling out at that year's RA Summer Exhibition - the 250th coordinated by Grayson Perry CBE RA, these private little songbirds featured in the 2020 RA Calendar and then later became one of The World's First Plastic-Negative Greetings Cards in December 2021. Thanks to Richard's partnership with the eco start-up Zero Plastic.
The reverse of the cards read:
The warbling white-eye (Zosterops japonicus), previously known by the English name "Japanese white-eye", were taxonomically combined in 2018 with the "mountain white-eye", as they were discovered to be the same species. Known in Japan as 'mejiro' (メジロ, 目白), also meaning "white-eye", one can only imagine what these two small, active, noisy songbirds make of this.