Nod Heads and Sway
North Sea to the East, J.Powls, Halstar (Halsgrove Group), 2020. ISBN-10: 1906690731. ISBN-13: 9781906690731.
p.94: Full Page Illustration.
- Medium: Softground etching with drypoint and watercolour
- Support: Somerset Textured White 300gsm handmade cotton paper
- Image Size (Matrix Size): 145 × 140mm
- Paper Size (Support Size): 290 × 255mm
- Edition: 30
- Numbered AP: 3
- Published: 2020
- Series: North Sea to the East
'Nod Heads and Sway' was created as part of a collaboration with acclaimed poet John Powls, resulting in the collection of poems and artworks 'North Sea to the East', published by HALSTAR (the arts imprint of the Halsgrove Group) in December 2020. The artwork is a response to John's poem 'Harvest Perspectives' which was dedicated to the artist's wife Kay Spare and her childhood memories of holidaying in Kettleness. The title is a line taken from 'Harvest Perspectives' and refers both to the depicted wheat and flower heads in a breeze but also to the Salingerian symbolism employed by John to represent the innocence of youth in Kay's childhood memories.